Thursday, November 6, 2008

To tithe or not to tithe?

I haven't shared this with many, but lately I have been rethinking my view of the New Testament believers "mandate" to tithe. I like many, have believed in the past that the believer is supposed to tithe (give 10% of their income) to the Church or various ministries. I have taught this. But a few months ago I decided to do a study of this idea just to make sure what I was teaching was right. As difficult as it was for me to admit, I came to the conclusion, that my view may not have been correct. Below is a video from The Gospel Coalition that I think summarizes my view of the subject quite well:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By your post and the first part of the video, I was reflecting on the message in Matthew 23:23 and Acts 4:32ff - somewhat expecting that the post/video might claim that the mandate of 10% might be satisfied by something less. I was glad to hear that the message indicates that we're called to give an offering that is something greater than the OT mandate.

Tony Lombardo said...

Like so many things in Christianity the focus of New Testament giving is the attitude, or heart, of the giver:

Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
(2Co 9:7 NASB)

The word that gets translated "cheerful" is from the greek word "hilaros." We get our english word hilarious from it. There is an expectation that we are happy, full of joy, and cheerful when giving to God's Church.

It is much easier, in our flesh nature, to stay under some kind of false compulsion of a 10% rule. I think Paul, through the Holy Spirit, is again asking us to examine ourselves. Ask yourselves this question:

"Are you full of joy at the idea of actually being aloud to participate in God's work through giving?"

If yes, then praise the Lord for the Spirit that is at work in you.

If no, then ask yourself why not and call on God to search you and:
"Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me."(Psa 51:10 NASB)

Praise the Lord for His Grace, Mercy, and Love for His children.