Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A THEOLOGY OF WORK

When I was 19 and first starting off in the work world, I found myself in a job I didn't much appreciate. I knew I had to do it, and I knew that this was what "being an adult" meant. But really, was this all there was? I struggled and struggled for awhile, but finally, God in His grace revealed to me (through His Word) a doctrine, a viewpoint that changed my whole perspective. That is, I began to do some reading up on the idea of vocation from a biblical perspective.

Up until this point, if I heard the word vocation at all, I tended to think that it was just another word for someone's job. What I found out was that the word vocation was really the Latin word for "calling." I found out that someone's vocation was not merely their job, but their calling at any given time in life. A person didn't just happen to work somewhere, but rather at that time and place (barring anything inherently sinful) was called to work and serve his neighbor through that job. A person didn't just happen to be a parent, they were called to be Parents. A person didn't just happen to go to college, they were called to be a Student. One person could have all of these callings and more at the same time. The Scripture had made clear, after all, that we were "to do all things to the glory of God" in service to our neighbor.

All of the sudden, the seemingly mundane work I was doing on a daily basis seemed to have eternal significance. I wasn't just loading a truck with packages, I was serving hundreds of people throughout the world, by loading their packages well. God was using me to load trucks! I was called. When I went to school, I wasn't merely taking in information, I was called to be a Student!

There is much more I could write about the doctrine of vocation (as I personally think it is the most under-appreciated doctrine recovered during the Reformation), but I have written on it much before. The reason I give a brief overview of this doctrine today is because I think it helps us steer clear of two errors that we have historically seen in people's view of work:

1. Work is Meaningless-

A common view of work is that it is something that we must do just to pay the bills, or that thing we do during the week that makes it possible to do what we really want to do on the weekend. Work for many is drudgery and something to be avoided at all costs; many struggle to find any meaning in what they're doing at all. A biblical theology of work keeps us from that. From the beginning God models for us the value of work as He works for 6 straight days creating the inhabitable universe. At the end of each day, God seems to find satisfaction as He pronounces His work "Good." As Ecclesiastes says, "There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil." Work is meaningful because through it, God uses you to model Himself: Working for the good of your neighbor. As Jesus said, "The greatest commandment is this,"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and Love your neighbor as yourself." So whether you shovel dirt, fold papers, load boxes, make decisions, change diapers, etc. all of these things are means by which your neighbor is served!

2. Work is Meaning-

On the other hand, a biblical view of work keeps us from the error of finding all meaning in work. Communists and Capitalists alike have unfortunately both been bilked into seeing work this way. In the Communist scheme what matters Ultimately (since there is no god to speak of) is what you do to contribute to the broader society by your work. On the Capitalist side, "he who dies with the most toys wins." Both of these views make work idolatry (the thing to be worshipped) rather than the true God.

Notice after God is done creating the world He takes the seventh day for rest. Why? Did God run out of breath? Of course not. We're told in Exodus 20 and by Jesus that the reason God took this "sabbath rest" was as a model for us. Work was to cease for a day a week, for the purpose of paying homage to our true God. Not our boss, not our stuff, not our success, but our God who made all these things. He is Meaning, and work is merely a good gift from Him.

Tomorrow, we talk about what a Godly business looks like....

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Erick

RECEIVING FROM CHRIST....GROWING IN CHRIST....GOING WITH CHRIST....

No comments: