Wednesday, November 17, 2010

HAVE IT ALL OR WANT IT ALL?



The American Reality

The Rich Fool of Jesus’ parable could be a poster boy for the American Dream. He worked his land, earned a good living, and planned to enjoy the fruits of his labor. But he could also pass for what is too often the American Reality. Ruled by selfishness and greed, he ignored the One who created the land, the One who made it produce a harvest, and the One who numbered his very days.

Big Idea: Stewardship

Everything we have comes from God and belongs to God: life, family, money, resources, time, job, talents…everything (John 3:27; 1 Cor. 4:7). We are stewards of what God has given us. He owns it; we use it.

In addition to the breath in our lungs and the food on our table, God has given us forgiveness, righteousness, and eternal life through the work of Jesus: “an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven” (1 Pet. 1:4).

Gratitude, Greed, and Grumbling

The totality of God’s gifts is much more than we deserve. Though many Christians would nod their heads in agreement, few live as though it were actually true. Rather than gratitude for God’s grace we exhibit greed for our own gain. The difference between these two outlooks influences and directs every aspect of life:

Gratitude

Greed

Attitude

Humility (Phil. 2:3)

Grumbling (Phil. 2:15)

Perspective

Grace: “I am a sinner who deserves death but Jesus paid the price andgave me his perfect righteousness.”

Entitlement: “I am a good person who deserves heaven—plus a comfortable, pain-free existence in the meantime.”

Desire

Jesus is enough to satisfy my life.

Jesus is not enough. I want wealth / fame / comfort / power as well.

Money

God gives. Therefore my money is his, and I use it to glorify him.

I earn. Therefore my money is mine, and I use it however I please.

Possessions

Contentment: I have enough

Covetous: I never have enough

Church

Serve as a member of God’s family

Be served as a consumer

Job

Work heartily for the Lord; cultivating thanks for God’s provision (Deut. 8:17; Col. 3:23)

Work begrudgingly for the man; becoming bitter and jealous against others (James 3:16)

Family

A blessing to embrace

A burden to escape

Future

Eternal: optimistic/hopeful (2 Cor. 4:7–9)

Temporal: pessimistic/anxious

Worship

Time, energy, and resources go to God

Time, energy, and resources go to me

Identity

Jesus and his achievement

My abilities and my achievements

Giving

Generous

Guilt- or gain-motivated (or non-existent)

Which column most accurately describes your life? In which areas are you encouraged? Where do you need to repent and seek forgiveness? Your church, your small group, and your family are following your example, for good or ill.

No comments: