Friday, January 16, 2009

To drive or not to drive?


A New Hampshire man refused to do his job as a bus driver this week. The reason: On the side of the bus there was an advertisement saying, "There probably is no God." As was reported a few months ago on this blog, an atheist group has started this campaign, putting such slogans on the sides of buses to provoke a response. I think it's been pretty effective actually.


There was a similar story recently in Rancho Cucamonga. An atheist group bought billboard space that said, "Imagine No Religion." Residents of the city went ballistic and the city council found some way to take it down; the city is now being sued.


This is an interesting intersection of the two kingdoms. On the one hand I respect the man who wouldn't drive the bus for having some convictions; I respect Rancho's residents for raising a fuss. On the other hand, if we don't allow these kinds of things, is there any way we can expect our message to be allowed in the public square? I'm sure there will be disagreement with me on this, but I don't see how we can be consistent unless we are willing to let various messages that contradict our own be placed in the public square. As a matter of fact, let it happen, let the public debate begin: I thoroughly believe the Christian worldview is far more persuasive than any other worldview. We should have no fear of contradictory messages being put out there. As long as we're allowed in the public sphere to express our view, I think things like this could actually be beneficial.


I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I couldn't agree more. If we are afraid of contradictory messages in the public arena, what does that say about our own convictions?

Anonymous said...

My first response is to tear these lies down, but this benefits no one and denies that God indeed has the power to redeem evil into His good glory. Every man who enters into God's kingdom testifies to this.

Now I find myself in Paul's plea to the Ephesians, that some might be saved:
"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

That, perhaps, it is not that the lies are spoken so loudly but that the truth is spoken so quietly. Oh, that Christ would sanctify both!

Tony Lombardo said...

"...the truth is spoken so quietly." Well said Benjamin.