Monday, July 21, 2008

The Consumer Church

Gene Edward Veith has a good entry on his blog today about a friend of his that has been a part of a wide variety of Christian denominations. This sort of thing is really unique to American Christianity. We are the land of choice in everything: Taco Bell for lunch, Turkey for dinner. So too with the Church: If the Pastor is entertaining, the people are welcoming and they keep my kids pacified than I will attend. The beliefs and doctrine of the Church are secondary to how they individually can be served.
I confess as an American that I suffer from much of the same consumerism that infects the average churchgoer. I just really don't want too!
One of my favorite videos is a popular one called "MeChurch." I think it defines much of our Church culture painfully well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cGEmlPjgjVI

No comments: