Tuesday, October 26, 2010

GOD IS "PRO-LIFE"

A LOOK AT ABORTION

Well, this should be interesting....!

If you've been paying any attention to what I've written thus far about Christians and world-view, you know I have been very critical of Churches identifying themselves with politics too much. No Church should swear their loyalty to any particular party, but should be salt and light to both political parties. The church should not baptize any particular policies as being "God's policies." As a Pastor, I shouldn't and I won't do that (though I have in the past, and regretted it :( )

That being said, as individual Christians who are citizens of both kingdoms we are responsible to seek justice in the society around us especially for the poor, the widow, and the orphan (James 1:27). Sometimes this care for the downtrodden, the innocent, the helpless forces us to confront policies that aren't just godless, but are actively fighting against God's design for his world. For example, in World War II, the vast majority of those who helped Jews, Gypsy's and others escape the Holocaust were Christians being disobedient to their government's policies. They heard about the killing of innocents, and saw the enslavement of their neighbors and their conscience couldn't help but take action.

Over the next week as we discuss abortion, my hope is that you would see the silent Holocaust that is abortion in this country and the world (No, I'm not being dramatic, that's what it is.) My hope is that you would see God's clear teaching about the importance of life; that you would garner the arguments from natural law that show the importance of life; My hope is that it would spur your conscience into action as well. Action that mourns over the millions of victims (around 50,000,000 since the Roe vs. Wade decision: 1,220,00 babies killed per year, 101,667 babies killed per month, 3,340 babies killed per day, 139 babies killed per hour, 2 babies killed every second. Just in the U.S. alone); Action that has compassion on those who have had abortion so that they might be healed by the Great Physician; Action that seeks to help those that are pregnant now through Crisis Pregnancy Centers and adoption alternatives.

So to start off, let's just deal with two simple passages from Scripture about how God feels about innocent human life:

1. Genesis 1:27- So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

During the 6 days of Creation, God created many nouns. There were animals, and places, and things, and then He created People. What made people unique is that they were the only part of God's creation, out of the billions of nouns that were made, that were created in His image. Not only that, though He created everything else with His powerful Word, for some reason, with man, He bent down, shaped his body with His own hands and breathed life into his nostrils (Genesis 2). God says He cares about human life so much, that He writes in Genesis 9, “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image."

2. Psalm 139:13-16: 13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

I don't think I have to say much more about this passage; God takes great interest in each of the members of His human creation. The implication is clear: If God cares this much about human persons (from the moment of conception) shouldn't we?

Tomorrow, we'll see why being Pro-Life is not merely a religious stance, but in fact, is an unassailable position from mere reason.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Erick

RECEIVING FROM CHRIST...GROWING IN CHRIST....GOING WITH CHRIST...

No comments: