Thursday, September 17, 2009

David Robinson: Childhood hero

When I was a kid I was a huge fan of "The Admiral" David Robinson. I didn't like his team (cuz they competed with the Lakers), nor was I drawn to his flashiness (he really wasn't that flashy in comparison to most other players). The reason I was a huge fan of his was because of his persona.

Of course I didn't know him at all, but the character I saw on the court was a person who played according to the fundamentals of the game (not really valued to much anymore), worked hard (was always in terrific shape) and was genuinely a nice guy. But that was just his "court persona." We all know that often times what people have chosen to reveal in public is far different than what goes on in private.

The other day Robinson was inducted into the Hall of Fame and best I can tell, he really is the real deal. Humble, grateful, thankful, and worshipful (Robinson is a confessing Christian). Watch the clip below to see what I mean:



Interestingly enough, on the day of the induction speech, I missed David Robinson, but caught Michael Jordan. His speech, and the interview that followed saddened me. Why? Go here to find out. What's the big difference between the two men? Gratitude.

No comments: