Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Context


As I was stumbling around online I came across this impressive Jujitsu demonstration. As I continued to watch I realized that the demonstration was taking place inside of a church. On the back wall is a huge cross and what looks like an alter, or communion table, underneath. It seemed kind of ironic that this demonstration of self-defense was taking place in front of the symbol of our Lord who did not defend himself as he was led to the slaughter and like a lamb was silent (Acts 8:32 Isa 53:7) .

I'm not saying the martial arts are bad or sinful. Its just that seeing that cross and then what was being demonstrated made me take pause and think. How could we reinterpret the Lord's command to turn the other cheek (Matt 5:39). Instead of turning the other cheek it can say something like this: "If someone slaps you on the right cheek, kick them in the head then throw them on the floor and snap their neck."

Hmmmm, I don't know, just doesn't seem to fit does it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They clipped off the end of the video! ...something like Mathew 21:12-13.