Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The fascination with, and overuse of the word 'hate'

I just heard that Miss California is being allowed to keep her crown, even after her "offensive" statements against same-sex marriage (“I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised.”)

Frankly, I don't care at all about beauty pageants. However in all the talk the last few weeks about this girl's position against gay marriage one word has been used an awful lot by those who oppose her: HATE. I hear this word thrown around more and more it seems, and to tell you the truth, when used for trivial matters like this, it becomes a nonsense word. Can anyone read the above quote and say with a straight face, "How hateful!"?

Hate would be what Hitler had for Jews or maybe what Pol Pot had for intellectuals.

Kind of disagreeing about what constitutes marriage, and then apologizing if it offends? That's called disagreement. I know this is hard for some to understand, but it is possible to disagree on a particular position and yet still be tolerant, and loving towards the person you disagree with.

2 comments:

Jeff Proctor said...

Most of the time, when I communicate my intense hatred for somebody, I say something like, "I think that I believe that you're not my favorite person." Now, that's most of the time; at other times I try to tone it down a bit.

Tony Lombardo said...

Erick. Your argument is way too logical. People aren't interested in being logical, rational, or reasonable. Plus, logic, rationality, and reason do not sell advertising.

Jeff. If you lived where I live your post could actually be true. :)