Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A PRAYER OF LOVE FOR THE CHURCH

PHILIPPIANS 1:1-11


[1:1] Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,
To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons:
[2] Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
[3] I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, [4] always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, [5] because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. [6] And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. [7] It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. [8] For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. [9] And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, [10] so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, [11] filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

COMMENT:

Upon reading over the text for this morning, I was struck by one overarching theme: the emotive love Paul displays towards his readers at the Church in Philippi. This is a man who loves the Church, and that love pours out into words of great hope and joy. He tells them that he "thanks God in all his remembrance of them", "holds them in his heart", and gushes, "For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus." Why does he love the Philippian Church so much?

1. They are fellow Believers- This may seem like an oversimplification, but the truth is the bond Paul feels for the Philippians is first of all based on their common bond in Christ. That's really true for all Christians. Our first and foremost connection and love for one another should not be based on the fact that we have certain peripheral things in common, but the overarching fact that we all stand as sinners saved by our gracious God in Christ Jesus. Because of this, Paul can write, "I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Why is He sure of this? Because they have borne fruit in that....

2. They are partners in the Gospel with him (vs. 3-5 & 7) - Or in other words, the Philippians have pledged their financial and spiritual support to Paul, and he knows it. We have to remember that Paul essentially traveled the world preaching the Gospel and planting Churches at the cost of others throughout the Christian world. Philippi was one of these places that gave what they could, and Paul is appreciative. (As a side-note, it is always a good thing to show our appreciation and gratitude towards those who support us.)

Based on this love Paul has for the Philippians, he prays thus:

"It is my prayer that your love may abound more and more with knowledge and all discernment..." Jesus said, "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” And yet, love is not just emotion or zeal, but it is grounded in knowledge and discernment. Oh may we as a Church have this same balance of love and knowledge...

Why does Paul want their love to abound more and more with knowledge and all discernment?

Answer: So that they may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God." Amen.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Erick

RECEIVING....GROWING....GOING....

No comments: